Pastor Tom Bacon
Pastor Tom Bacon was a career missionary of the Home Mission Board/North American Mission Board. He served a total of 22 ½ years, ending his service as Director of Cooperative Missions and Men in Missions Director at the Nevada Baptist Convention in Reno, Nevada where he served 10 ½ years.
Before appointment by the Home Mission Board/North American Mission Board, he served pastorates in California and Nevada, including two bi-vocational pastorates in his early ministry.
A native of Winnsboro, Texas, Pastor Tom is a graduate of California Baptist University and Golden Gate Baptist Theological seminary with additional studies at the University of California, Hayward in the field of drug abuse prevention, crisis intervention, and rehabilitation, as well as clinical pastoral educate program at the Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco, California.
Birth: September 14, 1936, Winnsboro, Texas
Family: Wife, Thelma Clamp of Hillsboro, Texas
Children: 4 (Charles, Tom, Michael & Gladys)
- California Polytechnic College in Lavern, California from 1953-1954
- B.A. California Baptist University in Riverside, California in 1965
- Masters Divinity from Golden Gate Theological Seminary in Mill Valley, California from 1967-1970
- Alcohol & Drug Abuse Training/Prevention/Crisis & Rehabilitation in 1971
- Clinical Pastoral Education Program (C.P.E.) from Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco in 1973
- Pastor of First Southern Baptist Church in Sunnyslope/Riverside, California from 1960-1962
- Pastor of First Southern Baptist Church in Los Serranos/Chino, California from 1965-1966
- Pastor of First Southern Baptist Church in Belmont, California from 1967-1973
- Pastor of First Southern Baptist Church in Hawthorne, Nevada from 1973-1980
- Interim pastorates in many Nevada churches while serving as a career home missionary of the Southern Baptist Convention from 1980-2006.
- Present Pastor of Desert Springs Baptist Church in Reno, Nevada from 2006-present.
- Association Director of Missions for two town and Country Associations in rural Nevada from 1980-1985. Lahontan Baptist Association and Northeast Baptist Association.
- Association Director of Missions for the Northeast Baptist Association from 1985-1992.
- Director of Missions and Direction of Men in Missions for Nevada Baptist Convention from 1992-2002.
- Association Strategy Consultation North American Mission Board from 2002-2005.
Various employments as grocery worker, spot welder/truck driver and California dock worker in Southern California from 1955-1966
- Moderator of Nevada Baptist Association from 1976-1978
- Vice President of Nevada Area Baptist Convention from 1978-1979
- Executive Board Member of Nevada Baptist Convention from 1978-1980
- President of Board of Directors for Consolidated Agencies of Human Services (CAHS) from 1978-1980
- Member, Board of Directors of Mt. Grant General Hospital from 1978-1980
- Outstanding Town and Country Director of Missions in Western U.S. in 1990
- Recognized as one of 17 Directors of Missions in U.S. to lead association in New Work Starts
- President of National Organization of State Directors of Missions, SBC from 1996-1997
- President of Northern Nevada Chapter of Volunteer Organizations in Active Disaster (VOAD) from 1998-1999